10.10.2010

What's wrong with America?

Millions are unemployed. The deficit is incomprehensibly huge. Health costs are astronomical. Our civil rights are ignored or violated. The environment is in peril (or, depending on your point of view, there is a serious epidemic of fraudulent scientists.) Our country is at war. Taxes are too high/low. The list goes on.

Kind of makes you want to open your window and scream.


Well don't. There are more productive uses of your time.

So what is wrong with America? I don't know exactly - but I have an idea that I'd like to bounce off of you. I wonder if maybe it's because too many people think they do know what the problem is and how to fix it. Too many people are 100% positive they know what will make the world a better place and they're making every effort to let everyone else know about it too.

Government is too big! Government is too small! Corporations are taking over! People are sinful! People are too religious! People are wrong.

I've spent the last few months challenging a lot of my own political and economic understandings and the only thing that I've learned is that I don't know how to make the world a better place. There are a lot of good ideas on both the left and right sides of our political spectrum. There are a few idiots on each side too. I think most people are caught in between.

This is what JermSix will be focusing on. I hope to highlight the problem of sub-nationalism in America and have conversations about solutions that find a common ground or balance between competing political and religious ideologies and values. Let's restore constructive political discourse and move our nation and our world forward.

I don't know how to fix the world or what's wrong with it... but I have some theories. Let's talk about it civilly. 

0 Intelligent Comment(s):

Post a Comment